One size does not fit all when it comes to working with a family lawyer. Whether you’re writing a will, need help with property and conveyancing, or are heading into a divorce, finding the right solicitor is vital to ensure you feel secure in your decisions and get the outcome you’re after. If you’re embarking on a potentially lengthy process, such as separation, you need to know that you’re working with someone whose advice you can trust, and who will help to take the weight off your shoulders.
When looking for legal help, here are a few tips to finding the right solicitor for the job:
- Meet face to face: Most lawyers will be happy to offer a free initial consultation, and meeting in person or talking on the phone can give you a much clearer idea of whether you’d be able to work together than simply reading information on a website.
- Use personal recommendations: Ask around locally for word-of-mouth recommendations – you’ll get a much more personalised and trustworthy view of a firm or individual lawyer this way, no matter how many internet reviews you scour.
- Look for accreditations and expertise: Make sure to check that any potential solicitor has the relevant qualifications and experience you require, and choose someone who is a member of established organisations such as Resolution or The Law Society to ensure they offer a high standard of services.
- Trust your gut: If your initial impression is uncertain, it might be worth looking around some more. Bear in mind that you’ll need to trust your solicitor to help you make important decisions and you need to feel comfortable working with them. Your solicitor isn’t there to be your best friend but it helps if you can get along!
- Don’t go for the cheapest option! Legal issues can be costly, but many solicitors offer fixed-fee services to help clients budget effectively. Interestingly, according to a recent survey, only 6% of customers choose a solicitor based on price – instead, the most important aspects in the decision-making process are the firm’s reputation and a recommendation from someone they knew.
A good solicitor will make sure to provide you with tailor-made, objective legal advice and guidance, keeping your best interests at heart. At Frances Lindsay & Co we try to offer ‘a different kind of family law’ to ensure our clients feel supported throughout our working relationship – whether they’re buying a house, getting divorced, or setting up powers of attorney. We understand that legal issues can be stressful and our aim is to take the weight off your shoulders and find the best solution for your unique circumstances.
We have offices in Maidenhead and Beaconsfield and cover the whole of the Thames Valley, as well as offering meeting rooms in London for convenience. To see how we can help you, please get in touch by visiting www.franceslindsay.co.uk or calling 01628 634667.
Tags: divorce solicitor, family lawyer