So, you’re looking for a new place! If you’ve already had a snoop around the estate agent’s and have a good idea of what you’re looking for, your next port of call should be a solicitor. Getting a property lawyer on board early will help to streamline the process of buying (and selling), and help to avoid any costly delays along the way.
Your solicitor deals with the conveyancing process, which covers all the different aspects of transferring legal ownership of a property from the buyer to the seller. Your solicitor is there to handle all the admin involved, including:
- Property and environmental searches
- Local and water authority searches
- Any liability searches required by your mortgage lender
- Title plan and registry
- Conditions of your mortgage
- Contract conditions of sale
- Arranging a completion date
- Scheduling the transfer of the deposit
- Exchanging contracts
- Freezing the deeds so you can apply to the Land Registry
- Stamp duty and land tax payments
- Sending the title deeds to your mortgage lender
- And any other final admin required to see your purchase through smoothly
One of the main causes of delays during the house-buying process is not having the right documentation or legal admin ready, which is why it’s so useful to get your solicitor in the loop as soon as possible. There’s nothing worse than losing out on the home of your dreams because of red tape. Plus, getting all the legal aspects sorted early on means you’ll save money, save time, and ensure a much smoother exchange.
We know you’d probably rather be focusing on searching for your new home and picking out furniture than dealing with admin and legal issues, so leave the rest to us. Our property team have over 50 years’ experience in handling sales, rentals and purchases in the Thames Valley area and beyond, and we offer free conveyancing quotes online here! Get in touch to get started and we’ll help you find the right place for you.
Tags: property and conveyancing Beaconsfield, property and conveyancing Maidenhead, property and conveyancing Thames Valley, property and conveyancing Windsor, property law