Dissolution of Civil Partnerships – Thames Valley

August 10, 2015  |   Posted by :   |   Blog

The dissolution of a civil partnership follows many of the same processes as a divorce, although there are also a number of different options for couples who wish to avoid going to court, such as arbitration, mediation or collaborative family law. In all cases, your first step is to meet with an experienced family lawyer to discuss which option is best for your situation.

The process of dissolution covers all aspects of separation, including the division of assets, finances, savings, property, businesses and personal possessions. If you have children, you will need to negotiate the best course of action for co-parenting after separation – your family lawyer can help you to come to an agreement with your ex or deal with children’s disputes if they arise.

If you choose to go to court or use an arbitrator to settle your dispute, a decision will be made on your behalf based on the information you and your ex have put forward. This can be useful if you are struggling to come to an agreement, but also means you have less of a say in the final details of your settlement, particularly if you have children. However, if you choose an out-of-court method of separation like mediation or collaborative family law, you will need to work together with your ex and solicitor to find a mutually beneficial agreement. These techniques are usually quicker, cheaper and less stressful than going to court, and can help to provide a sense of closure for couples, as well as paving the way for an amicable relationship as co-parents.

Whether you are parting on friendly terms or involved in a difficult dispute, the process will be much easier if you and your ex can try to meet in the middle and cooperate as much as possible. Drawing out a separation with petty disagreements and stubbornness will not only make things more expensive, but the stress of ongoing negotiations can take its toll in stress and anxiety. Use the experience and guidance of your solicitor to help you overcome the obstacles and get to the other side so you can move on.

In order to dissolve a civil partnership, you will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Prove that you have been in a civil partnership for at least a year.
  2. Provide grounds for the dissolution (for example: unreasonable behaviour, adultery, desertion, or having lived apart for at least 2-5 years).
  3. Either file a dissolution petition and apply to the court, or pursue separation through out-of-court methods, such as mediation, arbitration, or collaborative family law. Your family law solicitor will be able to advise you on the best course of action for your circumstances.

If you’re based in the Thames Valley, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or London, the family law team at Frances Lindsay & Co can help to take the weight off your shoulders. Let us navigate your way through the separation process and ease the resolution of relationship disputes, whether you’re getting divorced, dissolving a civil partnership or working together in mediation. Call us on 01628 634667, email us on, or visit for more information.

Tags: , , ,

We support the award-winning NGO, AfriKids by raising funds and awareness of their child rights and community development work in northern Ghana. Click here to learn more.